House of Leaves
House of Leaves is one of the most unusual museums in Albania. It is considered to be the equivalent of the Stasi headquarters of the former East Germany. The leaves have a double meaning: things hidden in woods, but also the leave of books and files, on people. Those curious to see what was hidden in the HQ of the notorious National Intelligence Service, also known as the House of Spies, will leave speechless. The original house was built in 1931 with the primary function of a medical clinic. During World War II, under German occupation, it was used by the Gestapo. Immediately after the end of the war it was regained by the Albanian communist regime and utilised as a security office for investigations. Inside the house you will understand the worst side of dictatorial regime in Albania, the story of thousands of prosecuted people who were against the regime.
In January 2015, the idea to transform the house into a museum was introduced to the public. It is situated right in the heart of the city, in front of Tirana’s Orthodox Cathedral and close to the National Bank of Albania. The museum was open for the public since 23 May 2017.
TAGS: House of Leaves Museum in Tirana, House of Leaves in Tirana, Museums in Tirana, Albanian Histroy, History of Albania, Dark Tourism in Albania, Albanian Communism, Communism in Albania, Things to do in Tirana
Reference from: Visit Tirana